Today we have put forward one of our top apprentices for the Ron Simmonds Construction Apprentice Award 2016.
We have the great pleasure to nominate Matthew Evans.
Matthew is undertaking a level 2 NVQ in Bricklaying at City College Plymouth and will be working toward his level 3 with us also.
Matthew joined us for work experience in February 2015 working whilst studying at City College until he started his apprenticeship with us in September 2015. He used this time wisely to get ahead with his studies gaining essential experience and evidence work for his NVQ. During the work experience Matthew demonstrated brilliant punctuality and time keeping arriving to our premise in Milehouse from Whitleigh for 7.30 am under his own steam every morning – he has set the example for the whole company.
Matthew won the Reece French Memorial Trophy for bricklaying in 2015.
Matthew has enrolled onto the Plymouth Apprenticeship Ambassador program with Plymouth City Council to demonstrate to others the benefits of apprenticeships.
Matthew is very interested in the construction industry and built environment sector and has learnt a great deal about what is happening more locally when he attended Building Plymouth Summit 3 with the team.
Matthew has been involved in many exciting projects with us over the last year:
· Foundation construction for a classroom for Plymouth University at Dartmoor Zoo at Sparkwell.
· Multisided complex masonry single storey extension designed for disabled users – Lutton
· Detached new build in Queens Road – Lipson.
· Detached new build – Wembury road - Elburton.
· Multiple structural alterations and installation of up to 6m steel lintels using dead shoring.
· 2 storey residential extension – Greatberry Road – Crownhill
· Single storey extension – Beacon Park.
· Extension to extension and roof expansion – Kingsland Gardens -Mannamead.
· Extensions to 2 student residential properties – Northhill & Greenbank
· Rebuilding wall damaged by tree roots – Beacon Park.
· Concrete pouring/finishing of multiple foundations and a foundation slabs.
· First storey extension to existing ground floor commercial property. Wispy Styler Salon.
· Stonework, slab, hard landscaping projects.
· Stone wall repairs - cappings.
· Installation of cavity trays to existing gable suffering penetrating damp.
· Underpinning of retaining walls
· Retaining wall construction
· Taking down a large chimney to ground level.
· Rebuilding chimneys – roof level
· Basement Conversion – Tanking
· Complex below ground drainage
You can follow Matthew on LinkedIn by linking here
To find out more about the Ron Simmonds Construction Apprentice Award 2016 and the Building Plymouth Network on Plymouth City Council's website by following the link below: